Sunday 17 August 2014

Post 7. L.A

Hi All,

Hey boys, I have some exciting news on the bear front. Two were spotted last wednesday night. It also happened to be the night I went back to working days so I missed them. It shows they are around though. This weekend I went to LA. I drove down in the Taco, which I wasn't too sure about but it was pretty easy. The big 5 lane highways are a dream, especially when I had google maps guiding me everywhere. I first went to Rodeo Drive in Beverley Hills and walked around, then headed down to Santa Monica by the beach. I stayed at a youth hostel in Santa Monica one street from the beach so from there I walked everywhere. I went down to the pier (see photos) and then walked along the beach to Venice, to muscle beach where the body builders hang out. The lonely planet called Venice kooky and they were not wrong. There's an odd assortment of people down there. They include, but are not limited to, homeless beggars, a freak show (yes a real freak show, bearded lady, wolf boy etc), marijuana doctors wanting to "proscribe" some "medicine", A dude with speedos and snakes, body builders, some people dancing on top of a bus to the Eagles, skate boarders, tourists (lots of these), arts and crafts, heaps of tattoo parlors, pubs and t shirt shops. The were hordes of people with some just hanging out at the beach and enjoying the day. When I got back from Venice there was also a guy taking his iguana out for a walk (see photos). I went to a couple of pubs that night and had some tea then looked at a couple of cool stores. The next morning I drove to Hollywood Boulevard, to Grauman's Chinese Theatre. This is in the heart of the Hollywood walk of fame, on Hollywood boulevard, where the stars are in the pavement. I found a few of interest but what was most interesting was the small memorial set up around Robin Williams star (see photo). In front of the Chinese theatre was the autographs of the cast of Star Trek and their hand prints. I got a photo of my hand in Spock's.

I then drove out to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, just to say I've been there and then drove out to Vasquez Rocks. Vasquez Rocks is a geological oddity of strange shaped rocks in northern L.A. county, where they have shot a heap of westerns and the odd Star Trek episode. From there I drove three hours back home.

It was a good weekend, that I crammed a fair bit into, and experienced a lot of different stuff that you can probably only find in L.A.

Back to vintage tomorrow.

I'll do two posts. The photos from Saturday will be in this post and Sundays photos will be in a new post because there are a lot of them.

That's about it.

Until next time


Entrance to Rodeo Drive

Rodeo Drive

Santa Monica Pier 1

Santa Monica pier 2

SM pier looking back towards the beach

Yours truly
Bikini comp and Muscle comp, Venice beach

The "cool" bus. They were dancing to music on top of it

Entrance to Venice from LA

Iguana getting some fresh air (owner was nearby)

People working out at muscle beach, Venice

The Marijuana physicians

How cool are these boys ?

Bye

2 comments:

  1. That doesn't look like an Australian vintage!
    Cheers,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit more civilised and less frantic over here Wirpster. We should try it some time.
    Jollster

    ReplyDelete